Responsible for spearheading the growth in Bangladesh’s apparel industry and taking it up to the standard of being the second largest garment supplier to the world, the country’s apparel manufacturers and exporters’ body Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters’ Association (BGMEA) has been recognised as a ‘Superbrand’.
Md Siddiqur Rahman, BGMEA president received the award at a recent gala programme arranged by Superbrands, a global media communications and publishing business.
Along with BGMEA, 28 other brands from diverse industries were also lauded and heralded as ‘Superbrands’ for 2018-2020. The programme was held at Radisson Blu Water Garden Hotel in Dhaka.Distinguished dignitaries and businesspersons also marked the event.
The batch of ‘Superbrands’ was selected by the brand council consisting of 12 eminent brand experts.
Incepting in 1983, BGMEA takes care of an industry that stands as the backbone of Bangladesh’s economy with a net worth over US $ 30 billion. Currently, the apparel exports occupy generally around 83 per cent of Bangladesh’s total export basket.
BGMEA started with only 12 members and presently has around 4,300 member factories (several were shut in recent times). Around 40% of BGMEA member factories are knitwear and sweater manufactures, and the rest 60% are woven garment manufactures.
BGMEA says it is dedicated to promote and facilitate the apparel industry through policy advocacy to the government, services to members, ensuring workers’ rights and social compliance at factories.